How to Update Property Records When Someone Dies

You might have to transfer ownership of someone’s property after they’ve passed away. Prestige Tax and Trust Services explains how to update property records when someone dies.

Transfer title

If you’re the executor of someone’s estate, you may need to change the ownership of the deceased’s property. This means that under UK law, you’ll have to update the property’s records; this will allow you change the property’s title register, so you can transfer its title to either:

  • A beneficiary of the estate (the person inheriting the property).
  • A third part (e.g. someone purchasing the property after the owner has passed away).

Transfer to beneficiaries

This process differs depending on whether you want to transfer the property’s title to a beneficiary or a third party. If you wish to transfer it to a single beneficiary, you need to download and complete the ‘change the register form’ (AP1 form) and the ‘whole of registered title: assent form’ (the AS1 form).

If ownership of the property is being transferred to more than one beneficiary, you’ll still need to fill out the AP1 form, but you must complete one for each beneficiary. However instead of the AS1 form, you’ll need to complete one ‘Part of a registered title: assent form’ (AS3 form) for each beneficiary instead.

Once you have completed these forms, you’ll need to send them to the Land Registry. These should be sent along with a fee – use this fee calculator, the stamp duty land tax certificate/self-certificate for the property, and the original/an official copy of the grant of probate/letters of administration. You’ll need to apply for a grant of probate to gain the legal right to administer the estate of the deceased.

Transfer to third party

If you wish to transfer the property’s title to a third party, you’ll need to download and complete the ID1 form and the TR1 form. You should give these to the buyer who will then need to complete the AP1 form and send all three, along with the appropriate supporting documents, to the Land Registry.

Prestige Tax and Trust Services

You’re required to complete a range of tasks when you’re named as the executor of someone’s estate after they’ve passed away, and some can be quite complex. Prestige Tax and Trust Services can help; our team has the knowledge, expertise and experience you require to carry out these duties.


This entry was posted in Prestige Tax and Trust Services, Property Records and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s